Thursday, July 31, 2008

House Arrest: A New Diabetes First

I placed my Dexcom CGMS sensor on the back of my arm yesterday.  I'm taking a "Total Tummy Break" all summer to try and give my battered and bruised stomach a much needed rest, after 20 years of abuse.   

The guy behind me in Walmart last night asked me, "Are you on house arrest or something?" 

 I looked back at him, obviously confused.  "Huh?"  

Him:  "That thing on your arm. Is that for the cops?" 

Me:  "If I were on house arrest, would I be shopping at Walmart?" 

Him:  "Oh."  

Normally, this is where I'd use this opportunity to educate people on diabetes technology.  
I was pretty sure this guy couldn't handle where I was about to go though.  

9 comments:

Unknown said...

That's really funny! :)

C and G said...

You should have played along and told him not to report you to the cops!

Anonymous said...

I just got an error so I apologize if I post twice.

That is too funny! My pump has been mistaken for a garage door opener and a microphone pack so I guess nothing should surprise me!

Scott K. Johnson said...

Ha!!

Michelle said...

Hahahaha!

I love that you had the awareness to respond the way you did. :)

Also, most people who are on house arrest wear ankle monitors. Something I've learned from my clients, not personal experience. :)

Donna said...

This is hilarious! Some people will say the darndest things.

Bernard said...

Hehee.

Have to give him some points for being observant, but that's a new one on me.

Valerie said...

Oh my goodness! That's FUNNY! Kind of like when I was in college, and got the police called on me for doing drugs in the Perkins bathroom. I was shooting up my Regular insulin LOL

Heidi Stone said...

Awesome. The intelligence of some people just blows me away.