Wednesday, December 31, 2008

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY DIABETES BLOG!

It's been about one year since I started writing this blog to help manage my Type 1 diabetes. I never IMAGINED that by starting this blog I would be introduced to such an AMAZING group of people, The Diabetes Online Community. I have learned more about this disease I've battled for over 20 years in this one year, than all the other ones combined.

One year ago my husband saved my life by finding me unconscious on the floor next to our bed. He called the ambulance and one Glucagon shot later, all was well. But it was enough to scare the %&$* out of me and I realized I needed some support, an outlet of sorts to see if anyone understood what I was dealing with.

It all started with a little Irish angel named Bernard Farrell who found me first. He told me about the search engine he had created and I saw the Diabetes365 photo project linked on his blog. I thought, cool! What a neat idea and joined in! It was there on Flickr that I met lots of other cool diabetics like Kerri, Landileigh, and Sara. I also was linked to sites like Amy Tenderich's, Diabetes Mine and Manny's Tudiabetes.com social network. The day I discovered there was a NINJA diabetic was a GOOD DAY with lots of laughs to follow. Scott K. Johnson is always the encouraging cheerleader. Then there's the awesome Chris Bishop who is my husband's favorite D-blogger because of his awesome comic book like layouts. Donnabetes who reminds me of my mother, always the optimist and her caring nature protrudes even through the internet!

There are sooooo many more of you, I could list you guys all day! But I wanted to take a moment and thank you for understanding the struggle and just being there in a way that other people can not. I am so thankful for the support I've found through this new circle of friends. May 2009 bring new friends to our little corner of the internet and lots of breakthroughs in research! I pray we all have a healthy, happy year full of blessings!!! Cheers!!

5 comments:

Kerri. said...

Happy New Year to you, Windy!!! I have had so much fun getting to know you this year. :)

Anonymous said...

i remember the day you joined the D-365. and seeing out first pics of the man i named "hunkalicious"! we have loved getting to know you this year with your big smile and knowledge of sales!

love ya! and happy new year!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year and Anniversary to you!

My resolution this year is to connect with you when I am up in your area this year! :)

Scott K. Johnson said...

We are all so glad that you jumped into the blogging boat with us. You have provided just as many smiles and grins as you have gotten from us.

Thank you for being you, and may 2009 bring great things to you and your family.

Now that we got all that nice stuff out of the way. When the heck are you going to do another vlog entry? C'mon! :-)

Unknown said...

Great post! Happy anniversary, Windy. The mom in me is melting over your little cutie, too :)