Thursday, February 14, 2008

My Name Story

I was over at Amylia's blog yesterday and read her awesome story of how she changed her name in the midst of a spiritual journey. I enjoy reading her blog because she has a unique tilt on things, a sensitivity to simple beauty that I think a lot of people in this world are too busy and miss.

My name story isn't quite as exciting and interesting, but cool none the less. For everyone over the age of 35... you can probably already guess where my name came from. Yup, you guessed it. The Association's 1967 hit, "Windy". Now, if you live under a rock and have never heard the lyrics to this song, go culture yourself before reading on. People have speculated for years about what this song is REALLY about. Here's some fun conspiracy theories. My favorite is that Windy was actually a man. Ugh. I'm so glad I was an 80's child. I'd like to think it's NOT about a prostitute? Or a peeping tom? But a nice gal who smiles innocently at everyone she sees and reaches into her pocket to give them sun-shiny rainbows to make people happy. (Yeah, right)

Now what DOES make my naming kinda cool is the fact that my Dad was a 60's drummer. My friends get a kick when he starts to rattle on about all the people he played and toured with when he was a young teen playing in some pot smoking satanic band called, "The Magic Circle".... they played in the shape of a pentagram. I've heard him drop names like The Who, The Yardbirds, and Hendrix. He gave me a Hendrix CD last year and sho' nuff there was his picture inside the jacket with his purple croc boots on, Jimi in front of him, about to ram a guitar through an amp. Apparently he got to fill in for the regular drummer, Mitch Mitchell, when he was too strung out to play a set.

Now you'll all be happy to know Dad is one of the few musicians who survived the 60's and then married my Mom who has a more Cleaver-ish background. After some stints with a traveling zoo and a few sessions of shock therapy we're happy to report that he's close to normal. (love ya Dad) My Mom roped in his wild side just a bit and gave him two beaut-ee-ful daughters. By his early twenties he was out of the music scene completely and now the craziest venue he gets to is the modern worship service at their local church. =)

So there it is. Told ya I was a Diva. What's YOUR name story?

2 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

Wow!

Very cool story about your dad!

Donna said...

Great story about your name & your dad. How cool!