Sunday, May 17, 2009

Follow Up... Thyroid Issues

I went to the endocrinologist and got a lot of blood work done. Like "holy cow I need a muffin or something after seeing that many tubes" amount of blood work done. The good news is.... my kidneys are perfect, my liver is perfect, I don't have lupus, my A1c is 6.8%. The bad news is my thyroid levels are low... which in a way is good news because now we know and we can start to fix it. My doc upped my Synthroid dosage. And said that'd be step one. If I don't feel better in 3 weeks he said to call him and we'd add a T3 hormone supplement.

I brought up the Armour idea and he wasn't thrilled with that. (I'm not sure if him being Jewish had anything to do with his dislike for a drug made from slaughtered pig thyroids? HAHA) So we'll go his way first and if that doesn't work, then I'll further pursue this idea. I really do like and trust my doctor so I'm okay with this decision for now.

So far, I don't notice much of a difference, but he said it would take a while for everything to adjust and kick in.

5 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

My sister in the thyroid fight! I'm a week into it (or is it two weeks... shit...), and CANNOT WAIT for the part where I start feeling better.

I'm feeling your pain! :-)

Tony Rose said...

It's nice to have a good A1c, very nice work. Good luck with the thyroid!

Lora said...

Hang in there. Whenever I get an adjustment to my Synthroid (Levothyroxine generic), it does take a little while to feel the results. It will happen and before you know it, you'll realize you're starting to feel normal.

Charity said...

I've been praying for you, Windy!! Glad you got some definite positive results and hopefully things will get better soon. (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about you and I will be lifting you up in my prayers that you will be feeling better soon.