Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Baby Steps... Reflecting on My Journey

It's been over a year since I started this blog in attempts to help control my Type 1 diabetes and get some support from other people who could relate with my daily struggles. I'm so thankful for all the amazing people who've encouraged me on this ride.

Over the last year or so I got my A1c back in range to the 6.0-7.0 marks. I began using a Continuous Glucose Monitor to help keep my sugar levels in check. I began an intense exercise program that helped me go from 145 lbs. down to my current 115 lbs. and I began making better food choices. Last week I decided to become a distributor for what I think is a KICK BUTT health product that can benefit ANYONE but especially diabetics. (I started a blog about those endeavors, but I'm not really gonna focus on it here... if you are interested in learning more, just ask and I got ya covered)

It dawned on me today as I was talking to a few of my girlfriend's about giving up on artificial sweeteners and diet soda that I have NEVER FELT MORE HEALTHY OR IN CONTROL OF MY DIABETES as I do today. Then I got a little emotional.... I haven't been able to feel this way, ever!! Don't get me wrong, I still have days where my sugars fly off the handle, I eat pizza and it kicks my butt, or my pump infusion set malfunctions, or I wake up with a sweaty low in the middle of the night... but those times are getting fewer and farther in between.

I realized today that by giving up diet soda I was really getting committed in my discipline for wanting to really optimize the way I feel and the way I live day to day. OK, let me clarify... because I don't want it to sound like those of you who drink diet coke all day long are immature, undedicated diabetics. What I'm trying to say is that I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE Diet Soda. My Mom and I have argued for years about how it's not good for you, etc. I know this, you know this. But my view was always, "Well... dang it. I have this stupid disease and I can't drink juice unless my sugars are low, I can't drink regular sodas or fancy coffee drinks, so that leaves water, milk, and diet stuff! So leave me alone! Let me have my variety!" And I SOOOOOO GET that attitude! The reason I'm kinda freaking out is because this is the first time in my life that *I* have actually WANTED to give up the artificial stuff in attempts to really continue to grow towards healthiness (is that a word?).

So this is me kinda tootin my horn. I'm proud of it, because for me... this is big. And HARD.

But I'm excited. And I want to keep this journey going so I can continue to tell diabetes to go *insert word of choice here* itself and I can live the rockin life God intended me to have! Much love to all my D-friends (and my non-D friends at that) and keep kickin it till we find a cure!

4 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

Windy, I am so happy for you. I know what a big deal it is, because I am totally addicted to my diet soda.

Charity said...

Windy, I am so proud of you!!! It is a big deal to give something up like this. It is hard. Lord knows I should give up my fancy flavored creamer every day, but I'm not there yet! Kudos to you for taking the hard steps and I'm so glad you are feeling the results of it. Keep up the good work!!!

Tony Rose said...

I ditto Scott's comment. After next week (an intense week for me) I plan to severely cut back on my Diet Mt. Dew and Energy drinks. Way too much caffeine pumping through my system and need more water.

Did you just switch to straight water?

Tony (@dsainsights)

~Suzanne~ said...

Wow! Congratulations!! For EVERYTHING! It is such a great feeling when we have accomplished huge goals and each time any of us do something we are proud of, you encourage someone else...like me :) Keep up the great work!

...and I want in on your diet secret...PLEASE!