Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Eyes Eyes Eyes




Hey folks! I'm still here...... looks like you can expect about a monthly update from me now! Life is just so busy and it doesn't look like it will slow down anytime soon! Life is full of wonderful things however...... teaching music to children, working, playing with my own pre school aged children, tee ball games, ministering to local teenagers, softball games, worship services, BBQ's with friends, new babies (not my own!), weddings, housework, cooking, jogging, walking and shopping! Do you need a nap yet?

On the diabetes front, things are going okay. A few weeks ago I was blessed with the news that my retina's have started to slightly leak fluid. *That was sarcasm kids!!* This is also known as diabetic retinopathy. Don't get too freaked out by that link like I did when I first read it. I'll admit.... the first day after I got this news I was a nervous wreck and bawled my blurry little eyes out for the remainder of the day.

I went to a new eye doctor who was very kind, as was his entire staff. It was the oddest thing, every staff member at this office, including the doctor looked like they stepped out of a Ralph Lauren ad. But when the appointment was over it could kind of be summed up as, "You have retinopathy which means if you don't keep your sugars down you will go blind. Here's a pamphlet to read. See you in four months. Have a great day." Out the door I went with my sexy polorized glasses and waited for my Mom to pick me up, sobbing on the curb. I immediately let the "What-if's" get the best of me fearing thoughts of missing my children's weddings, grandchildren's births, not being able to read music anymore, etc.

After about a day I came to the conclusion that it was time for the pity party to end and worrying about this stuff was doing nothing but robbing me of the joy of TODAY. TODAY I am healthy, and have 20/20 vision, and life is WONDERFUL. Tomorrow I could get hit by a bus. Or drop dead with the swine flu. So today is going to be awesome.... I'm going to continue to keep my A1c down, wear my sunglasses and pray for the best... God will take care of the rest. I've had a peace about it since.... truly. If and when the surgeries come, or the vision starts to go.... I'll worry I'm sure, but not now. Waaaay too much life to live right now. :)

6 comments:

Mom said...

Dad and I are so proud of you, Windy. We know that the Lord has given you the strength to carry on through many adversities and still come out shining like a star. Your cheerful attitude about life keeps us going and helps us to also perservere as we get older. Thanks for setting such a good example for others. I know that "God will meet all your needs" Philippians 4:19 as He always has. We love you. Mom & Dad

~Suzanne~ said...

Hi Windy! I was diagnosed with retinopathy about 7 or 8 years ago, I think. At that time I had laser surgery, which was relatively painless and an easy recovery. Since then, my eyes have been great... and for several years after that I even continued to have really out of control blood sugars. I promise you I had the same fears and did my fair share of crying, as well, BUT all turned out well, and I pray that it will for you, too!!

You will see those grandbabies one day, I just know it!

Minnesota Nice said...

I am a retinopathy survivor - lazer, detached retina, vitrectomy.
That was 8 years ago. I have had no further progression.
People need to be reminded that retinopathy can occur and vision can remain good. That is a fact.
My best wishes to you.

Windy said...

Thanks for the encouragement Minnesota! Good luck!! :)

Scott K. Johnson said...

I think it is bound to happen to most of us after enough years. As Suzanne & MN said, it can be dealt with these days and not cause you much trouble at all.

Take care, and be sure to give a holler if you need anything. Even if that's just a supportive virtual hug. :-)

Jane said...

HELLO Windy!
I haven't been here to your blog in what seems like forever!
I saw you in my favorites & clicked on over.
I really just don't get online that much, it seems like I only update my own site about once a month...I so wish I had the time to go to wah & to visit all the blogs that I love, & yours is one!
I just wanted to tell you hi.
And I'll be praying about your eyes. I think you are really amazing, Windy.
:)